Wednesday, March 19, 2008

12 Hour Time Difference

I have never in my life considered myself a morning person. Nonetheless it’s 5:23am and I’ve already had breakfast, helped an ex-housemate move tons of luggage down 5 flights, and watched an episode of Family Guy. I manage to stay up as late as possible but haven’t been able to get more than 3-4 hours of broken sleep in the past 3 nights, today I go on the hunt for sleeping pills.

Today is also my first day of Mongolian language school, I should probably school be practicing the Cyrillic alphabet right now… I’m going to have a few weeks of language training here in Ulaanbaatar, the capital city where I presume to learn the basics and then move on to my placement in Hutul where I’ll have no choice but to pickup the vocabulary or be left stranded. Despite the pressure, I’m really excited to learn Mongolian.

In the next week I’m hoping that what I’m doing here will be revealed, I started getting more clues yesterday when I met staff and the VSO Program office here in UB. Sometimes I feel like I’m on a weird reality TV show with a TWIST, like one of those shows where you think you’re there for one reason and then DUN-DUN-DUHNNNN they’ve got video footage of that thing you did and you’re face-to-face with your mom, your 3rd grade school teacher and Jerry Springer having to explain why you didn’t just stop after the margarine ran out – and it’s like OH SNAP!

That’s not really how I feel but lack of sleep gets interesting after a while.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You're hilarious Jazzy.

The whole thing is just so exciting. It doesn't even seem like reality to me, so I can't imagine how you must be feeling. Your life will never be the same. Good luck and keep us posted!

Take care.
xox

N

oh my said...

congrats of LSE!!!!!!!!

Caity said...

hey love!

this sounds amazing. i cant wait to hear (read) more! i will call you in the next couple of days....im so sorry we didnt get to touch base right before you left.

LSE??? you are BRILLIANT! i am so proud!

miss you and love you soooooooooo much!

bizzle.

abby said...

At last I get to read the blog. Looks like it will be a great experience. Can not wait to read your next entry. xoxoxo